Coconut oil can protect the skin and help treat certain skin ailments caused by bacteria or fungi such as acne, folliculitis, and athlete’s foot.
Just by applying coconut oil to the skin, you’re preventing the growth of any harmful microorganisms, which is excellent for improving the skin barrier function. In addition to its natural antimicrobial benefits, coconut oil can help reduce inflammation of the skin associated with diseases like eczema, psoriasis, and contact dermatitis and relieve pain by improving the antioxidant status.
Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E and Vitamin A, which contribute to anti-aging properties and reduces photodamage and damage caused by free radicals. These vitamins impart natural moisturizing effect to coconut oil, leaving the skin smoother and softer.
- A first step cleanser. Use a product containing coconut oil as cleanser or dab small amount to cleanse your face before rinsing it away with a gentle face wash.
- A makeup remover. Coconut oil is excellent in removing the stubborn makeup; just dab the small amount to remove it off.
- A moisturizer. Coconut oil is more effective if used over a moisturizer to seal it rather than as a moisturizer.
- A DIY face mask. Make your own face mask by mixing coconut oil with turmeric, lemon juice & honey.
- An eye cream. Dabbing a very small amount with your fingertip under the eyes before sleep will help to hydrate and protect the delicate skin in this area.
- A DIY lip balm. Dabbing a small amount on lips presents a perfect solution for dry or chapped lips.
Benefits of Coconut oil on BODY:
- Rids pregnancy stretch marks and scars. Since coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E and antioxidant properties, it plays a significant role in tightening the skin and reducing the appearance of stretch marks or dark scars. Rubbing it directly onto the affected areas at least twice a day will speed up the process of the skin repairing and lessen the visibility of stretch marks or scars. It can be beneficial to start applying it during pregnancy even before the stretch marks have formed.
- Bathing & grooming partner. Coconut oil finds the best use in the tub as a nourishment enhancer and also used during shaving the legs.
- Rids hand and body dryness. Coconut oil is an apt moisturizer that keeps skin dryness at bay. Use it on hand massage and during manicure that will leave the skin and nails hydrated and replenished.
Benefits of Coconut oil on HAIR:
- A DIY hair mask. Coconut oil replenishes moisture and limits the protein loss when used on hair as hair masks. These masks can sit in the hair covered by a shower cap for about 30 minutes before shampooing them out to reveal silky smooth hair.
- Treats dandruff. As dandruff is another skin condition driven by inflammation, coconut oil can be best used to treat it. Simply heat the coconut oil until it liquefies, and then let it sit on your scalp for about 30 minutes before shampooing it out.
- Adds shine. Rub a small amount of oil between your fingers before running it through frizzy areas of the hair and dabbing it on the ends.
Coconut oil is a big NO…
- As a replacement for sunscreen. This is extremely unsafe and could cause more damage to the skin. Coconut oil does not absorb UV rays from the sun sufficiently or at the right wavelengths. Sunprotek gel and lotion are best used as a sunscreen which has a broad spectrum UV protection.
- For oily skin. It may be too heavy for oily skin and may clog pores which could potentially turn into breakouts